03 October 2014

KENYA : Kenya Captain Wafula Now Quits After Uganda Bonanza


KENYA national men's team captain Ancette Wafula has announced his retirement from international basketball.
The lanky Ulinzi Warriors shooting forward made the announcement in the Ugandan capital Kampala after the national team's last game of the FIBA Africa Zone five All Africa Games/Nations Cup qualifiers.
"Today I am passing on the button to the younger generation. I have been a regular player for the national side for five years and now I think it is time to call it a day, " Wafula said after Kenya's last tie to host Uganda.
Kenya finished fourth in the eight-day tournament. Kenya only won the opening match 97-77 against Somalia. They, however, lost to Rwanda 77-82 eventual winners Egypt 53-85 and Uganda 70-81.
Wafula though insisted that he will continue to play Ulinzi--a team he has captained to six national titles. Wafula has had a successful career that has also seen him skipper the Nairobi men's side to the Inter Cities Championships across the region.
He will now turn his attention to coaching. His first step is to register as a participant in the clinic that will be hosted by the Nairobi Basketball Association (NBA) in November. The facilitator will be FIBA Africa instructor Ronny Owino.
"Having played up to this level for all those years, I believe the time is now ripe for me to venture into coaching. This is the only way I can contribute to the development of the game.
" I have participated in many tournaments, I know where we need help and I will work towards achieving that goal," he said.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?